Community health provider cohealth will welcome the community to drop in to the Brimbank Mental Health and Wellbeing local at an open day afternoon on 7 June at its Dickson St site.
The Brimbank Local, which provides free, walk-in, no referral required health and wellbeing support to adults in Brimbank, invites community members, other local services and faith groups to come and get to know the space and the dedicated team.
At the open day people will be able to meet staff, give their thoughts on what services are needed in the community and learn what the Brimbank Local offers.
Guests will also be invited to make their own flower bouquet to take home, using flowers with connections to the Brimbank area, an activity centred around the idea of flourishing.
“Flourishing happens when a community is supported and happy,” says Tam Le, cohealth Mental Health and Wellbeing Coach at the service.
“We hope the Brimbank Local continues to grow to become a place that supports people to connect, try new things, and find joy.”
Tam says flourishing together in Brimbank means collaborating and growing as a whole community.
Speaking in her first language, Vietnamese, Tam said, “Hãy đến với nhau và thiết kế một dịch vụ phù hợp với nhu cầu của bạn. chúng tôi muốn nghe từ bạn, which translates as “Let’s come together and design a service that suits your needs. We want to hear from you.”
As well as making the bouquets, guests will be able to:
- chat to peer workers about the lived and living experience focus of the Brimbank Local
- find out about the range of free mental health services available
- enjoy hot drinks and snacks
- hear from staff about the different services available at the Brimbank Local
- ask any questions they might have.
“We hope people will take the opportunity to drop in and say hi and get to see that this service is safe, non-judgemental and available for everyone,” says Tam.
“We want people to know that if they or their loved ones are ever having a tough time, this service is there for them.”
The open day is a chance to celebrate the community who have contributed so much to the Brimbank Local, from the initial consultation stages to the design of the building, to the delivery of services.
All are welcome at the open day, which is in keeping with the welcoming nature of the service itself, which has a ‘no wrong door’ policy.
Facts about the Brimbank Local:
- The Brimbank mental health and wellbeing local service commenced operating in Dickson St in April 2023
- The service offers free support to people over the age of 26, with no Medicare card, referral or appointment required
- The Brimbank mental health and wellbeing local is open from 8am – 6pm Monday to Friday at 45 Dickson St Sunshine
- The service is one of 60 Mental Health and Wellbeing Locals announced in response to the Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System
- Find out more on the cohealth website: https://www.cohealth.org.au/service/brimbank-local/
||Brimbank Mental Health and Wellbeing Local OPEN DAY
||7 June 2023
||45 Dickson Street, Sunshine
More information: Lanie.Harris@cohealth.org.au or 0418 552 377
About cohealth: cohealth is a not-for-profit community health organisation that provides low-cost and free local health and support services including medical, dental, allied health, mental health, aged care and counselling, and many specialist health services across Melbourne’s CBD, northern and western suburbs.